Sunday, February 19, 2012

Gushing about my V&V group

I've been playing a bi-weekly Villains & Vigilantes game on and off for about 2 years now. Sometimes we go awhile without playing, and I've missed sessions due to other plans, health and family issues (like when my dad passed away in 2011). But I really enjoy it, more than I thought I would. I joined up to get used to the game again, as I was hoping to do some 3rd party support for it. However, the GM runs such a great game, that I really enjoy myself. It took awhile for me to get comfortable with the group, but now they treat me like one of the guys (like I always was one of the guys). We have such a diverse group of players which is really fun. I'd say my character might be weaker power wise than the others (even though he has some cool abilities through his power armor), but he's well versed in science, and tends to keep a level head.

I also like that the GM has run V&V with other genres, and without powers. He has a Weird West game I haven't had a chance to play in, but he's also run non-powered vigilantes, and we had a session of a Pirate game that was awesome. In addition, I think his house rules (which are quite long, having been developed over about a 20 year period) really flesh out the game in ways I never thought it could be.

This past Friday, not everyone showed up. Another player is going to run a fantasy game using V&V, so we made up characters for that, then had a short run in our regular game. We basically went to Japan and fought a giant monster. It was a lot of fun, though the gm was worried such an impromptu adventure wasn't that great. It had ties to something else, so I enjoyed it immensely. Especially since he has rules about supers possibly going crazy. My character is now a super because of his intelligence. I failed the roll, and had to spend xp to karma it (a house rule that lets you spend xp to adjust the roll to a success). I keep a character journal on the GM's V&V forums, and used that roll I had to Karma into a neat little rp moment.

That's another thing; I've never kept an in character journal before, and mine seems to be fairly popular. Sometimes, when the GM doesn't have time to post his own synopsis of our session, he quotes mine.

I have to honestly say that this is one of the best games/groups I've played in over the years, and I've been in quite a few. I know when the time comes that we sell my dad's house and I move out of NYC (cause I can't really afford to live here much longer), that I'm going to miss this group. It's one of the few things keeping me sane right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment